Western Australia Transport Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your top 5 bands/albums/songs

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your top 5 bands/albums/songs Empty Your top 5 bands/albums/songs

Post  Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi all

Been thinking about this lately as we are all different ages with different tastes in music among other things Exclamation

I love music, so here are my top 5 albums (you can have a top 5 bands or top 5 songs if you prefer), tell us why you like the ones you chose.

1.Afghan Whigs:Gentlemen(1993) I bought this album as a 22 yr old, having purchased the 2 albums before it by this band. Over the years it has grown on me to the point where I still listen to it every day.

2.Beasts of Bourbon:Black Milk(1990) I didnt buy this until 1991, when red eye records re-released earlier albums by this band. Still like it but sounds better when I've had a few!

3.Queens of the Stone Age:Songs for the deaf(2002) These guys rock, bought their first album in 1998 which is classic stoner rock, but this one is the best with Dave Grohl on drums.

4.Kings of Leon:Youth and Young Manhood (2003) This blows shit all over there radio friendly stuff playing on the radio these days, fast guitars and a voice like no other, shit hot album

5.The Celibate Rifles:The Turgid Miasma of existence(1986) Plenty of headbanging to this band, this is the fastest guitarwork I had ever heard to that point (as a 15 year old), classic band and album!

Last edited by ADX666 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Your top 5 bands/albums/songs Empty Re: Your top 5 bands/albums/songs

Post  Hij Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:24 pm

G'day all.

1) Slayer: Reign In Blood - ultimate thrash album of all time - 'nuff said

2) Metallica: Master Of Puppets - snapped 4-5 tapes working this stuff out on my axe

3) Metallica: Kill 'em all & Ride The Lightening - almost ditto above

4) AC/DC: Hijway To Hell - Learnt to play guitar to these lovely songs

5) Jason Becker: Perpetual Burn - Man, this guy was something like 17 when he composed this stuff - he is something to aspire to STILL for me today
Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Laughing Not one bit surprised by your choices there headbangin Hij!

Jason was 19 when he released perpetual burn, gotta love speed metal! Your top 5 bands/albums/songs 967188

Back to top Go down

Post  Hij Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:10 pm

ADX666 wrote: Laughing Not one bit surprised by your choices there headbangin Hij!

Jason was 19 when he released perpetual burn, gotta love speed metal! Your top 5 bands/albums/songs 967188

Yeah, I think you're right ole boy....I think he was 17 when he met Freidman and they were in Cacophany (Go Off etc)
Even freakier!

Speed metal!!! Metallica and Slayer - YES! Becker.....NO!
Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Well the stuff I heard him play in colloration with others certainly seemed fast but much more melodic however it has been quite a few years since I have listened to anything by him or stuff like that. I had some of this shit on Long Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Hij Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:31 pm

Don't get me wrong mate......it is fast, very fast - actually generally much faster than "speed metal". It's almost an oxymoronic contradiction.
The style of music played by Becker and others including Malmsteem, Marty Freidman, Satriani, Vai, Petrucci etc (not by all means an exclusive or exhaustive list) is literally mind-blowingly and frenetically fast --they are literally the speed kings of the fretboard-- but generally only in terms of their soloing prowess/ability....fretboard acrobatics if you like. However, the style is NOT (in the sense of the proper nounish term "Speed Metal") actually speed metal at all. It's weird and probably depends upon where and with whom you grew up with and which circles you associate with, or even whether you are or aren't a musician, but that to which you refer is actually more often described in terms such as "Neo-Classical; Cock-Rock; Glam; Big-Hairedness meshed with Pop/Rock/Metal) and "actual" speed metal/thrash refers to bands such as Slayer-Metallica-Megadeth-Testament-Exodus etc which are rhythmically much more intense and brutal in their style of guitar playing. Some (but few, esp those in the know) will beg to differ - and I'm happy to debate them at length or just plain punch 'em out if they don't agree with me.
Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:36 pm

No need to go that far Hij, none of these bands I would profess to knowing that much about, nor are any of them faves, albeit good shit nonetheless!

Back to top Go down

Post  Hij Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:34 am

Spewin' 'seppe, we coulda had a punch-on, then a pint afterwards! Very Happy

Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  STIFFINS Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:48 am

....oh....I can just see it now - you two rolling around on the ground pulling each others' hair and scratching and biting - then that horrible big make-up hug and kiss whilst drowning your sorrows. PUHlease, you're killing me.

1 - Dire Straits...Love Over Gold (Telegraph Rd - whew!)
2 - Black Sabbath...(1st album - "The Very Best of" I think) Sabra Cadabra - greatttttt song
3 - Greenday (Hitchin' a Ride - what a song), dont know the name of the album
4 - Psychonaut - Local Perth Band actually, very very impressive
5 - ABBA - love S.O.S. and millions of their tunes
STIFFINS
STIFFINS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Umm Stuffins, no hair on my head that anyone without tweezers could grab actually! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Hij wrote:Spewin' 'seppe, we coulda had a punch-on, then a pint afterwards! Very Happy

Nah, couldnt be bothered punching ya old man but a few pints wouldnt go astray!

Back to top Go down

Post  wayfarer Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 pm

In no particular order (cause you could never put a value on the importance of the very existance of music)

stone roses - self titled debut : well what can I say (I'm thinking I won't get much agreeance from the top few posters but horses for courses) this is probably the only album I have been able to listen to start to finish repeatedly almost ever, as I had in the discman almost constantly on my trip to melbourne for the first time a few years ago. It's a shame that internal pressures caused the second album to take another 5 years to come out and ultimately lack lots of the punch of the original. I want made of stone played at my funeral , it is

dead kennedys - anything by . I can always reaffirm that punk's not dead whenever they've slipped my mind and I cue up a track by these guys. reminds me of the days of just getting our licenses and belting around in a 2000 buck VB commodore on P's packed in like sardines (cause it was fun to simply do things in those days) and the kennedys fully cranked. jello had a solid brain on him aswell , and wasn't afraid to give the pig fucking mofos on capital hill a serve whenever he felt like it (most of the time)

sonic youth - Daydream Nation . I think this would have just about made everything in 1988 look suddenly out of date and irrelevant when it burst on the scene. I could just listen to a whole album of the sound of thurston moore's guitar at the start of 'cross the breeze' it's just a lovely homemade apple pie (I call it) gold plated candy apple 'tone from heaven' goodness of lush reverberating sweetness before it breaks into indie hysteria.

hoodoo gurus - stoneage romeos . A milestone for Australian pub rock and probably the springboard for Aussie alternative music too.

the who - who's next . well although there are lots of other classics spread out between albums like pieces of patchwork , this is considered to be their strongest album. originally destined to be a rock opera in their pioneering tradition of tommy, creative and timeframe issues meant the abandoning of the opera project fortunately though the songs ended up seeing the light of day as an album.

anyway , consider this a work in process , I'll fill in the blanks as I realise more reasons that make the albums worthwhile. It's actually quite hard , as , obviously I know immediately why the albums are important to me, it's alot harder to put into words that most people can accept.

wayfarer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:02 pm

cheers Wayfarer, like your choices there bro, I still listen to the DK's as well as a bit of sonic youth and I have made of stone on my mp3 to boot!

I remember when the stone roses album came out (in the late 80's IIRC), for a while there I got right into them and the happy mondays, still got pills n thrills and bellyaches, great album to listen to wasted, not that I have done that much in the last 10 years or so... Your top 5 bands/albums/songs 5961

I distinctly remember finding that cd stuck to the floor of my car when I decided to clean it out one day, it was wrecked but I got another copy ordered in bounce

Are you of similar vintage to me?

Back to top Go down

Post  wayfarer Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:31 am

hey ADX! yea I probably would have put the mondays up too , but didnt come to my mind at the time as there is so much to choose from! they were one of the bands that took music in a different direction at a time when it was starting to stagnate, actually I like alot of manchester bands at that period (or 'madchester' as the movement was called) watch the movie 24 hour party people if you haven't already incidently the mondays and many other bands feature in it and it's the story of the factory label and the man. scene at the time. was born in 77 and I think i am lucky to have lived through some very interesting times in music media and art

wayfarer

Back to top Go down

Post  STIFFINS Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 am

Never heard of any of those Wayfarer. Perhaps it would be way fairer of me to suggest that you ARE living through great times again - here at the WATD Very Happy

Here's another 5 of my favourites:

1) The Sweet - love all their stuff....so diverse from pop, jazz, classical to heavy
2) Madness - Our House....really dig that tune
3) Spandau Ballet - Gold
4) Rush - Jacob's Ladder and Xanadu - These 3 freaks even play and trigger keys with their feet whilst performing other regular duties with their hands and throats
5) Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax....top track and Two Tribes (Carnage) and Two Tribes (annihilation). These lil fags from Livehpoool laike, were "well 'ard" ahead of their time.
STIFFINS
STIFFINS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 am

Stiffins, I am going to make you an educational cd to get you up to speed! I sincerely hope those arent genuine favourites, I never would have suspected you had such music tastes clown

Wayfarer, I saw that film, when the roses album came out in 1989, I was 18 but I did start listening to the DK's when I was 12 when my older sister got a recording of 'fresh fruit for rotting vegetables' for me. Still a great album to this day, right down to the sleeve which is a shot of several police cars on fire! Your top 5 bands/albums/songs 269933 Used to listen to all sorts of punk shit in those days like the exploited, GBH, Killing Joke, Celibate Rifles, the new christs (actually still listen to Killing Joke, The Celibate Rifles and the New christs, but only the older stuff of the first two, with new christs recordings well scattered)

Last edited by ADX666 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Hij Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 am

Forgot - Bowie - magician
Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  STIFFINS Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:27 pm

ADX666 wrote:Stiffins, I am going to make you an educational cd to get you up to speed! I sincerely hope those arent genuine favourites, I never would have suspected you had such music tastes clown

1) Whuh? ed cd? for what....that 3-chord wonder tripe you listed? Man that was a loooong list of similtudes...er tunes.

2) yeah, genuine - what's your objection you recalcitrant?

3) I like real music not rehashing. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
STIFFINS
STIFFINS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Recalcitrant, me? Nothing recalcitrant bout me FW, no the cd is a bad idea, I cant educate you if you think the stuff I listen to is 3 chord wonder bullshit.

Still, what does everyone else think, not that I give a shit because I like it and thats all that matters to me anyway Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  STIFFINS Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Recalcitrant (Noun): A person with such an attitude.

Yeah, you is a afro

"the stuff I listen to is 3 chord wonder bullshit"
(I agree) BUT..........no man......it's tripe[u] - that's what I said lol!

"Still, what does everyone else think
, not that I give a shit because I like it and thats all that matters to me anyway" (Trying to rig another poll?....the above contradictory oxymongrel alludes to this )
Anyway, EXACTLY. Now, if you'd listen to your own advice you'd see that it is ok for other people to make their own choices too - yeah? Like, my previous list.

LOOK, fuck what any other dicksuck thinks about your choices - well that's my philosophy with the toones [sic]. In fact, while we're on it, you had a go about my political choices awhile back - does everybody agree with you on everything?
I choose not to live in a fucking boring goldfish bowl duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

AND, guess what -like you don't know already- I HATE THOSE POXY SHIT DULL (appropriate for this city) GRAY GAS BUSES. THAT is MY opinion. I couldn't give one toss what other people think - BUT it's their choice.
I'll argue with 'em but they will decide their own shit.
I voice my opinion and then (usually) some left-wing (seriously - usually) dickhead shoots it down because that's the immature way of the left! IMHFO

Personally, though, the musick [sic] you listed "to me" is musickly [sic] ....musician point-of-view of course.... boring. It is all in the same basket - to me. And, I thought you'd be a bit more diverse than that duuuuuuuuuuuuude....BUT, that's your choice. Enjoy it.

".....would be happy to make a copy, stay tuned (sic)"
Sic - where?

Very Happy

One final point - if you wanna shut this site down (thru dissent or lack of interest) or leave coz you need to pay more attenion to your beloved atdb THEN JUST DO IT
too easy MAN Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now make me happy and do the left-wing-communist-censorship thing AND BAN ME!
STIFFINS
STIFFINS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:01 am

Shocked You take it all way too seriously old man, lighten up bro!

I wont ban you, go ban yourself

I accept that everyone is different and in no small way do I try to sway people to my way of thinking, nor do I want everyone to see things exactly the same. To me diversity is the best thing about life.

The polls arent there to Rig anything, they are a way of involving everyone on this site about its direction and what everyone wants it to be.

Who doesnt hate the grey buses, whats your point mentioning that? I love the MTT livery and Merc O305's seen in Perth but dont mention that to everyone, who really gives a shit?

Yep, my music's boring....to you, SFW? Like I said, I like it, each to their own, I didnt start this thread to poke fun at peoples music tastes, I couldnt be shagged arguing about this shit...I really couldnt.

Lastly, this is not THE ATDB, and never will be. If I wanted it to the be the ATDB, I would just use the ATDB and not waste my time on this shite.

Anyway, cast your vote, the next poll is whether we should keep stiffins or turf him! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Hij Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 am

StiffitS lighten the fuck up you dweeb. Can you not tell jest and gibe from reality?
Go ahead Joe, kill him off if he continues to be so "recalcritrant" (or whatever the shit is).

Lighten da fog up!

Joe - you're music sucks!

Laughing
Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 am

Your top 5 bands/albums/songs 574885 I like it Your top 5 bands/albums/songs 967188

Gotta wonder though, how much of it can you honestly say youve heard or listened to? The best stuff is the stuff that hasnt been played to death on the radio and sucked to begin with Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  Hij Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Best way is to give your opinion on which tracks are your choicest - give us a link and then we can all make up our minds - DONE!
Hij
Hij

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Alrighty then, I will!

Give me some time to formalate said list, OK?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next